Thursday 9 September 2010

Mainstage


 Created by Jodie Da Bank and her team, its a truly unique psychedelic wonder to replete with huge lightboxes, a reflection of all the technicolour creativity writ large at Bestival, the central hub is the grandest, most communal and euphoric setting on site to hear live acts from the Flaming Lips to Hot Chip.


What's the big idea?
"Because the bands are getting bigger we had to change the shape of the stage this year to a vertec, we usually have an orbit. I really didn't want a big black monster of a stage so I had a good think about making if different."

How would you describe your creation?
"Lots of colour, light boxes, screen prints, psychedelic. I hope it's going to have the wow factor."

Where did the inspiration come from for your design?
"Angus Watt who makes the flags emailed me a picture of an amazing DJ stage at a European festival called Mystery land. It blew me away. I tried to hire it but it was to complicated for them to bring it over so I had to put pen to paper."

Tell us about the process of actually making the stage?
"I did a sketch of what I wanted, I sent it to Chris and Alex and their company called Spacial (they are making it for me). Star Events who provide the stage then said what was possible and we went from there bouncing back various different drawings. I then got together with my trusty designer Luke to fine tune the screen prints and final design. Fingers crossed it all comes together."

What are the craft processes involved?
"Printed scrim, aluminum frames of all different sizes made into light boxes, screen printed PVC made into large tubes. Back lit PVC. All very technical really."
Mainstage Highlights for me were Hot Chip, Flaming Lips and Chic!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment